The Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze, or "Gallery of the Academy of Florence", is an art museum in Florence and is best known as the home of Michelangelo's sculpture David. It also has other sculptures by Michelangelo and a large collection of paintings by Florentine artists, mostly from the period 1300-1600, the Trecento to the Late Renaissance. It is smaller and more specialized than the Uffizi, the main art museum in Florence. It adjoins the Accademia di Belle Arti or academy of fine arts of Florence, but despite the name has no other connection with it.
The Galleria dell'Accademia was founded in 1784 by Pietro Leopoldo, Grand Duke of Tuscany. In 2001 the "Museo degli strumenti musical" (Museum of Musical Instruments) collection opened. It includes musical instruments made by Stradivarius, Niccolo Amati, and Bartolomeo Cristofori.
The Galleria dell'Accademia has housed the original David by Michelangelo since 1873. The sculpture was allegedly brought to the Accademia for reasons of conservation, although other factors were involved in its move from its previous outdoor location on Piazza della Signoria. The original intention was to create a 'Michelangelo museum', with original sculptures and drawings, to celebrate the fourth centenary of the artist's birth. Today, the gallery's small collection of Michelangelo's work includes his four unfinished Prisoners, intended for the tomb of Pope Julius II, and a statue of Saint Matthew, also unfinished. The "David" in the Accademia is the original. There is a replica in the Piazza della Signoria.
In 2016 it had 1,461,185 visitors, making it the second most visited art museum in Italy, after the Uffizi (2.02 million).
Read more about the Galleria dell'Accademia (link opens in a new window).